Local intra-tow fibre volume fraction

General discussion about TexGen.

Moderators: Martin, Developers

willsenwijaya
Regular

Local intra-tow fibre volume fraction

Post by willsenwijaya »

Hi Everyone,

When exporting a TexGen model for ABAQUS simulation, an eld. file is generated which contain the local fiber volume fraction of the tows within the model. Does it assume a uniform fibre volume fraction per tow cross section (based on that particular tow cross sectional area and the total fibre area in that cross section)? Or do we have an ability to defined some sort of fibre volume fraction distribution within a particular tow cross section?

Regards,

Willsen
louisepb
Project Leader

Re: Local intra-tow fibre volume fraction

Post by louisepb »

Hi Willsen,

TexGen calculates the local fibre volume fraction for the centre point of each element when it outputs the data to the .eld file. By default this uses a uniform distribution across the cross-section at that point.

There is an abstract CFibreDistribution base class from which other fibre distribution classes can be derived. At the moment there is a CFibreDistributionConst class which is what is used by default. There is also a CFibreDistribution1Quad class which specifies a quadratic equation varying along the x-axis of the 2D cross-section. As far as I'm aware this isn't used in any automatically generated models and would need to be specified from a script. There is an AssignFibreDistribution function in CYarn which can be used to assign this.

If you would like to specify an alternative distribution of the fibre across the tow section you could write a new class which inherits from the CFibreDistribution class.

Hope that helps,
Louise
willsenwijaya
Regular

Post by willsenwijaya »

Hi Louise,

Thank you very much for your reply. My aim at the moment is to perform dry textile compaction simulation in ABAQUS where the material properties of the tows are based on the local orientation and local fibre volume fraction inside the tows. I also would like to be able to keep track of the evolution of intra-tow fibre volume fraction with the increasing degree of compaction for subsequent flow analysis. Is this something that has been done by your research group? If yes, could you please tell me the relevant publications/documentations? Thank you very much

Regards,

Willsen Wijaya
louisepb
Project Leader

Post by louisepb »

Hi Willsen,

I'm afraid that I'm not aware of anyone who has done this in our group.

Best regards,
Louise